Sunday, June 5, 2011

Fresh Strawberry Pie


Last spring we went to the Butterfly House with Michael's parents and the girls.  We stopped at a hole in the wall place.  Kind of reminded me of a vfw hall only smaller.  Turns out they had the best fresh strawberry pie that I've ever tasted.  So I searched for a recipe that I could make and this one is perfect and so easy to make!  I never knew that you could make a pie that tastes fresh, cool, sweet and home-made with so little effort.  It was the perfect treat for the day I made it since we had to pull the girls out of the pool after only 15 minutes of playing when a sudden thunder storm hit.  For an almost 2 and almost 4 year old it was the end of the world, until they had the pie that is ;-)

Recipe Modifications
  • Used refrigerated pie crust that you put in your own pan and bake
  • Used 2/3 cup of sugar instead of 3/4, if berries are really sweet I'd use 1/2 cup
  • Didn't add mint
  • Topped with homemade vanilla whipped cream
  • Didn't measure the strawberries, just sliced until they filled the pie crust to the top
Ingredients
1 (9 inch) unbaked pastry shell
3/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup water
1 (3 ounce) package strawberry gelatin
4 cups sliced fresh strawberries
fresh mint

Recipe
This recipe allrecipes.com and was featured in Taste of Home

No comments:

Post a Comment