Friday, September 20, 2013

Easy Slow Cooker Apple Sauce


If I am not moving in a whirlwind of activity during the daytime, I think I'd actually lose my balance. Since breakfast needed to cook 20 minutes with no help from me I had to occupy myself.  Surplus or orchard apples and a slow cooker, criss cross applesauce!  It's so simple and makes a great healthy snack or addition to a packed lunch.  The scent is amazing.  I've noticed in the past few weeks our neighborhood has had new homes go up for sale.  If I had an open house this time of year, forget baked cookie smell, I'd cook up some applesauce in my slow cooker and leave a big bowl of local apples to sample.  No applesauce to share though, that's all for the owners who have to work at a spotless house!

Ingredients

8-10 apples
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp honey
1/2 cup water
brown sugar or maple syrup to taste (optional)

Directions


  1. Peel apples.  I usually cut them in four around the core then half those pieces.
  2. Combine all ingredients, expect optional sugar, in slow cooker and mix together.
  3. Cook on low for 6 hours.
  4. Mash apples with potato masher for a homey chunky sauce or use immersion blender or mixer for smoother sauce.  
  5. Taste the sauce.  If you want it sweeter add a tablespoon of brown sugar or maple syrup at a time until it suits your taste.  If you want more cinnamon add it now.
  6. Sauce keeps for 3 weeks in the fridge.  You can also jar in for longer storage.  Serve warm or chill for later, yummy both ways.  Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks! I've been wanting to make sauce with my abundance of orchard apples :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you got a chance to make your applesauce it really is so good. We will go picking soon and I need to jar some for the winter!

    ReplyDelete