Thursday, May 19, 2011

Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble

I will admit it, I'm not usually a huge fan of rhubarb.  I made this recipe for Michael who adores strawberry rhubarb pie.  The girls and I tried the strawberries and they were sweet but not as super sweet as farmer's market peak of season berries.  The rhubarb tasted woody and tart.  So I decided to put a little bit of extra sugar in to compensate.  And the end result was so good, I am now a huge strawberry rhubarb fan and might even try to bake a pie!  I would highly recommend this easy and yummy crumble.  It also keeps well so if there is any left you'll enjoy later that night or the next day.  Serve warm from the oven and top with ice-cream!

Recipe Modifications
  • Added 1/2 cup of brown sugar to compensate for tart rhubarb and not peak of season berries
  • Added 2.5 cups of berries
Ingredients
Topping:
1 Cup All Purpose Flour
1/2 Cup Old Fashioned Oats
1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
1 Tsp Lemon Zest
1/2 Cup Chilled Unsalted Butter, cut into cubes

Filling:
1 Cup Rhubarb, chopped
2 Cups Strawberries, hulled and quartered
1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
1/4 Cup Brown Sugar

Recipe
This recipe comes from weelicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment