Friday, February 10, 2012

Dark Chocolate & Tart Cherry Granola Bars



I saw this recipe and thought what a great idea and then completely forgot about it!  Thanks to the magic of Facebook and Pinterest, I rediscovered the recipe.  Homemade healthy granola bars that my girls and I would love and are easy to throw in my purse to eat when you need a snack.  What could be better!  After reading the reviews I made some tweaks and came out with a healthy, yummy, chewy, chunky and portable granola bar.  I will definitely be trying my hand at granola bars again.  I'm thinking of doing a cinnamon maple oat one next.  These are seriously so easy to make and you'll get a more nutritious bar for much less bank.

Recipe Modifications
  • used 1/4 cup canola and 1/4 cup olive oil
  • used 1/3 cup chocolate chips and 1/2 cup chopped dried tart cherries
  • cooked in glass dish and bars were about 2.5 inches thick instead of 1.  made 20 bars
  • cooked for 20 minutes and let cool hour.  They crumbled when cut so baked additional 25 minutes. smushed down when I got them out of the oven to really compact.  Then cooled for 30 minutes.  Then put in fridge until they were cold.  After that they cut great!  Next time just bake for 40, smash to compact and cool in fridge before cutting
Ingredients
4 Cups Old Fashioned Oats
1/4 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
1/2 Cup Shredded Unsweetened Coconut
1/3 Cup Brown Sugar
1 Cup Chocolate Chips*
1/2 Tsp Kosher Salt
1/2 Cup Canola Oil
1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
1/2 Cup Honey

Recipe
This recipe comes from one of my favorite blogs weelicious

No comments:

Post a Comment