Sunday, April 3, 2011

Homemade Graham Crackers

A few months ago our friend Stephanie posted on facebook that she made homemade graham crackers.  I of course was intrigued and asked for the recipe.  Who doesn't like graham crackers!  And Stephanie is an awesome baker so I knew the recipe would be good.  This weekend was the perfect time to make these.  We had good friends in for the day and two almost 2 year olds, one almost 4 year old and one just five year old to help bake and taste test them.  These are fun and surprising with few ingredients but all these great flavors come out.  And they are much healthier than the store bought varieties.  I didn't feel guilty at all giving them to the girls after breakfast today to dunk in milk ;-)

Recipe Modifications
I was unsure on this recipe so I followed it without modifications the first time through.  I made these in the food processor with a chopping blade instead of the dough blade, oops!  Next time I'll use the right blade.  If you don't have a food processor use a normal mixer and just cut in the chilled butter.  You can use a pastry cutter or two knives to cut the butter in.  I'll also roll them thinner and bake for 12 versus 15 minutes.  If you make them thicker they still taste awesome but puff up a bit more than traditional graham crackers.

Ingredients
1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
1 1/2 Cups All Purpose Flour
1/2 Cup Dark Brown Sugar, packed
1/2 Tsp Salt
1 Tsp Cinnamon
1 Tsp Baking Soda
1/2 Cup Butter, chilled & cubed
1/4 Cup Honey
1/4 Cup Water

Recipe
I really enjoy the easy, natural and healthy approach www.weelicious.com takes to cooking and baking. It's hard to imagine anyone browsing through and not finding something they want to make!
Click Here for Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment