Saturday, March 12, 2011

Blueberry Pancakes with nutmeg and cinnamon


Weekend and vacation mornings are my favorite to try out new breakfast recipes. Today my three and a half year old wanted pancakes. So we made a new blueberry pancake recipe and it turned out yummy! My new le creuset enameled cast iron pan created a perfect crunch outside and they rose for a light fluffy center. We served real maple syrup on the side and fresh berries. These are sweet enough you could even enjoy without syrup.

I take a child involved approach to cooking. My girls are young but they stand on chairs and watch me mix up the ingredients and dump the measuring cups. We often cook with pasteurized egg substitute so the batters and doughs can be sampled. I really believe this involvement and early exposure to wide variety of foods has helped shape their wonderful palettes.

Recipe Modifications
  • Doubled baking powder to 2 teaspoons
  • Doubled cinnamon to 1/4 teaspoon
  • Used pasteurized egg substitute
  • Used sour cream instead of yogurt
  • Added more milk to thin out about 2 tablespoons
Ingredients
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon white sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1/2 cup milk
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
3/4 cup fresh blueberries

Recipes
There are so many recipes on allrecipes.com and many user reviews. After reading a few tweaks people make and knowing how my family prefers food it's pretty easy to find good recipes from this source. And there are always new ones!

No comments:

Post a Comment