Sunday, March 27, 2011

Cupcake Wars - Raspberry Cupcakes with Champagne Buttercream Frosting

We have caught a few episodes of Cupcake Wars and Cake Boss and they have really made me want to perfect super yummy and pretty cupcakes.  This is my first attempt at pretty cupcakes and I have to say I loved the recipe.  The cupcake was denser than a normal cupcake and very moist.  Don't be afraid of the raspberry puree, they are such soft berries you can mash them with your fork into a puree.  The frosting was buttery with just a hint of the champagne.  I didn't have a pastry bag or tips so I used a ziplock bag to make the frosting a bit fancier than my usual smear it on method.

Modifications
  • All the stores I went to were out of the raspberry extract so I bought a raspberry gel flavoring for cupcakes.  I just squirted a bit in and it gave the perfect hint of raspberry and a slight lavender color
  • Added 2.5 tablespoons of pureed raspberry instead of 2.  May add more next time
  • Halved the frosting recipe but added 2.5 tablespoons of champagne instead of 2
  • My oven usually bakes fast.  These took 30 minutes instead of the suggested 20 minutes

Ingredients
2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon fine salt
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1/2 cup canola oil
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups whole milk
1/2 teaspoon raspberry extract
2 tablespoons pureed fresh raspberries
frosting -
1 pound unsalted butter, room temperature
6 cups powdered sugar
4 tablespoons Champagne, or 1 tablespoon Champagne flavoring

Recipe
This was the first Cupcake Wars recipe I've used and I will try them again.  I have my eye on a tiramisu cupcake, yumm!


No comments:

Post a Comment